Friday, July 18, 2008

Potty Training Help

I need help. Gabby is ready to start potty training but I am at a loss for how to proceed. My M.O. in raising my children has been to find parenting books and/or magazines with advice on how to do something and then try it out. When Gabby was a baby I did nothing without consulting my trusty baby book. Now I am looking at a new hurtle to cross, one I have never looked forward to, and I am in search of a good book to help me along the way. Does anyone have any advice on a good book (for me, not for Gabby) that I could read to help me get the job done? I like things with step-by-step instructions. :)

I saw something online and was also wondering if anyone had heard of this program and how good or bad it is: 3 Day Potty Training (dot com). The reviews I saw online really were positive, but the website asks for all this personal information. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that kind of a commitment. I just thought I'd ask cyberspace what ya'll thought before I dive into it.

I've heard the Elmo Potty Time DVD is good too. I thought about getting that. There is a long wait list at my library for that one. Must be good. Who doesn't love Elmo, right?


4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a hard one, we tried all kinds of things and what worked was having her older cousin (girl) take her to the bathroom for a whole weekend and than she came home and didn't have but one accident (which we blame on dad, he wouldn't pull over on the side of the road while driving through the Washe mountain pass headed into Logan two years ago...we remember it well). We are finally dry through the night, which I hear all kinds of stories about how to make this happen - I just had sort of let it happen on it's own. Best wishes.

Mel said...

I'm the last person to ask as I have been a terrible failure at training Connor. I will be checking in on everyone else's comments to try to see if I can get any different pointers.

thejbairdbeat said...

Love your picture Mel!

Mary said...

hows the training going? I had 2 very different experiences...kid #1, so hard! Kid #2, did it himself. I have no tips other than you must be very positive. I tired to train #1 when I had a new baby and still a bit sleep deprived...didn't pan out so well so we stopped and tried again 6 months later. Let me know how it's coming.